Assignment Objective: Identify, analyze, and assess the leadership attributes most commonly associated with exceptional professionals within the field of public safety administration.
For the last assignment prepare a Crisis Leadership Response Plan detailing how you would lead and manage a national public safety crisis. Whether faced with a natural disaster, public health crisis, civil unrest, terrorism event, or other man-made crisis events, you will lead this effort by applying the varied leadership styles discussed in the course. This Crisis Leadership Response Plan will focus on how crisis leadership (NOT crisis management) and other leadership styles can be applied in resolving a public safety crisis.
Select one scenario from the list below in which you will lead your agency through the crisis. Select the type of public service agency you will lead through this crisis (law enforcement, fire services, emergency management, etc.) and apply the various leadership concepts learned in the course. For example, consider leading individuals who may not be under your direct control and supervision. Also, consider how to apply these leadership styles in interacting with members of the local government, media, and community.
The scenarios you can select from are:
- Pandemic outbreak: The world has been devastated by the COVID-19 pandemic. This pandemic has created unprecedented disruption throughout the United States and continues to spread. Your region has been significantly impacted by the pandemic with a high number of positive cases, hospitalizations, and deaths.
- Devastating wildfires: The US is experiencing a devastating number of seasonal wildfires affecting large portions of the western United States and Canada. The National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC) reported in mid-October there have been 46,535 wildfires that have burned 8,427,589 acres this year, threatening several highly populated areas. These intense wildfires have required a sustained emergency response from the public and private sectors.
- Civil unrest: The Summer of 2020 highlighted the growing civil unrest in many US cities. Your city is experiencing continuous unrest as a result of a police-involved shooting. There have been widespread protests and complaints about law enforcement policies and funding.
Your paper should include the following:
- Describe the crisis.
- Research about the crisis situation including information supporting your crisis leadership plan
- Identify the public safety sector selected (law enforcement, fire services, emergency medical, emergency response, etc)
- Analyze the crisis situation as a public safety leader
- Explain your agency\’s role in the crisis.
- Describe other organizations that may be involved and whose members you may have to lead.
- Assess the crisis leadership challenges in the public safety environment the issue presents, including identifying and discussing the ethical issues the case highlights.
- Discuss other leadership concepts that can be applied in a crisis situation.
- Assess any ethical, legal, and decision-making challenges.
- Develop a leadership plan for handling the media relations during the crisis
The paper should be a minimum of eight (8) pages (not including the title and reference pages), double-spaced, using 12-point font. The paper must be formatted in accordance with APA 7th Edition requirements. The paper must cite at least one (1) academic or professional reference for each page written (a minimum of eight (8) references).
The Crisis Leadership Plan must include:
- Title page
- Executive summary (no more than one (1) page highlighting the main points of the plan).
- Main body of the plan
- Section headings (formatted in accordance with APA 7th Edition)
- Conclusion (summarizing the plan).
- Reference page